Peloton Bike+ exercise bike review
Overall: Kings stay kings when it comes to the Peloton Bike+ which currently enjoys a wide moat over the competition when it comes to quality, functionality, and technology. It also goes without saying that no competition even comes close when considering the subscription classes and workouts.
|Comfort and fit||★★★★★|
Peloton Bike+ review highlights
Is the Peloton Bike+ worth it?
- Build Quality: It simply comes down to the absolutely top-notch engineering that has gone into building the Peloton Bike+. It’s tough to argue with how sturdy this bike feels after getting it hand-delivered to your home with white glove service. Everything on the bike feels high quality, like the Ferrari (or Tesla if that’s more your thing) of home studio bikes.
- Classes and Workouts: There isn’t a better community of coaches, workouts, and scenic rides than within the Peloton’s ecosystem. Even if you’re not on a bike ride, the Peloton app provides everything from stretches to weights to off-bike cardio, everything. You honestly will feel like you have your own personal trainer all in one library of videos.
- Technology: Not only does the Peloton Bike+ come with every feature imaginable, the technology being used to record, report, and track all your health info is world-class. It’s impossible to overstate how much thought has gone into the interface and user experience with the touch screen technology.
Peloton Bike+ review lowlights
- Price: The Peloton Bike+ is not easy on the bank account by any stretch. While it’s definitely priced as a premiere product, you can get at least competitive offerings for several hundred dollars less. But then again, sometimes the price is part of the appeal.
- Lead Times: So you’ve convinced yourself to buy a Peloton Bike+ and you’re just about ready to hit order. You decide to check how long it will take to arrive and… you’re looking at about a 2-3 month waiting period… This will probably fix itself as they figure out their supply chain, but it’s really hard to spend so much on a new toy only to have to wait two months to play with it.
- Subscription Costs: On top of a pricey piece of equipment, you’ll also be paying what is about the equivalent of a premier gym membership in monthly subscription costs. The classes are 100% worth it, but it’s still a steep price point for the average consumer at $40+ per month.
Other Peloton Bike+ review notes:
- There are some weird quirks if you adjust the resistance on this bike too fast, as it will goof up the resistance scale. Be careful wildly spinning the handle when trying to adjust it.
- We absolutely love that the screen on the Bike+ can be adjusted to the side in order to allow for non-cycling classes to be used in the same workout space as the bike. Great product design here.
The home exercise bike had been stagnant for so long that when Peloton first broke onto the scene pitching that people pay over two thousand dollars for studio bike, our jaws hit the floor.
Who the heck is going to pay this much money for a piece of exercise equipment with really only one feature, many people asked (yes, us included). Good thing we’re not responsible for making such big decisions, because several years later, Peloton has created a massive boom in home SPIN classes, a massive and VERY dedicated following, and one of the world’s best libraries of exercise classes.
While there have been some bumps along the way, Peloton has basically become THE name in home studio bikes, and the Bike+ is a juicy upgrade from their first bike, with more screen functionality and improvements to some core mechanics.
If you’re looking at the price tag and thinking it’s a little ridiculous, we won’t blame you, but this bike has its audience, and offers a product with a build quality to match its expensive tastes. While each exercise bike company has tried to mimic Peloton’s success, none have quite made it to the same top tier of home equipment, most notably when it comes to the exercise class library. Peloton has instructors people know by name, and a community centered around, well, the community.
The metrics, technology, and data all being captured and presented on any given ride might seem a little overwhelming at first, but after a week or so of riding it becomes an addiction for many. Trying to beat your own “PRs” or your friends’ PRs becomes an addiction.
We don’t know anyone who has paid the price for a Peloton and actually ended up regretting the purchase. That might be all you need to know.
Peloton Bike+ Manufacturing Specs
- Rotating touchscreen with 360° of movement
- 23.8” HD touchscreen – 1080p HD
- 4-channel audio with 2×3 watt tweeters and 2×10 watt woofers
- 4′ x 2′ footprint
- Resistance knob with Auto Follow
- Apple GymKit(tm) Integration
- Peloton app access
- Multiple profiles
- Thousands of Peloton classes
- 12-month limited warranty
- Height range: 4’11” – 6’4″
- Weight maximum: 297 lbs
- Dimensions: 59″ L x 59″ H x 22″ W
- Weight: 140 lb
- Power: 100 V to 240 V, 50 Hz to 60 Hz, 3.25 A Max
- Resistance: Magnetic with digital adjustment
- Pedals: Delta-compatible aluminum pedals
- Bottom bracket: Industrial grade bearings with ISIS splined spindle
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- 8 megapixel front-facing camera with privacy cover for video chats with friends
- Workout history, milestone achievements, streaks and badges